Monday, June 25, 2007

Mothers Helper

Today the most wonderful thing ever happened to me (Ok, that's an exaggeration, but it was a really, really, really good thing). My "Mothers Helper" came for the first time. She is a 15 year old girl who I hired to come over twice a week for a couple of hours and help out. Today she was here for 2 1/2 hours and here is what I accomplished: mailed a package at the Post Office, dropped off the dry cleaning, returned a movie (those 3 things I did with OUT dragging 3 kids in and out of 3 carseats at each place), cleaned the kitchen (REALLY cleaned - so clean that if my mother was coming over today I wouldn't have to re-clean it for her sake), cleaned the laundry room (which meant putting away 2 big stacks of blankets that had been there for months), ate a snack all by myself, fed Isaiah and was able to actually focus on HIM while doing so rather than the other 2 demanding kids, put away a load of laundry and washed 2 other loads, made lunch for the kids. Here's what I would have accomplished with out my Mothers Helper: maybe loaded the dishwasher, fed Isaiah while trying to be the "patient" to Naomi's "Doctor" and making car noises for Asher, messed up the house much more.
So to all mothers everywhere with little ones, I say HIRE A MOTHERS HELPER TODAY! Isn't it worth it? As my mother pointed out, I could actually end up coming out even at the end of each week. Here's how: when I go to the grocery store with three kids I am distracted and frazzled. I don't pay as much attention to sales or think through what is in my cupboards as much. So I probably loose money there. Say, $10. When I go to Target or someplace like that, I splurge on the kids a little to keep them happy. Say, $5. When I am stressed, I eat out at Chic-fil-A. And the kids come with me. Say, $10. That right there is $25 that I SAVED by hiring my Mothers Helper.
At first I was a little embarassed by the idea of needing a Mothers Helper. I can handle it, right? Well, yes, I can. But I can handle even more with her help. So to all you out there in the Blog World I proudly proclaim:
I have a Mothers Helper and I love her!!!!

1 comment:

Nancy Clark said...

Great advice! I've been thinking about doing something like this. I actually need someone to come help me take the kids swimming occasionally. On Saturdays, Chris is the "mothers helper," as he takes all the kids out grocery shopping (he enjoys it...) while I get some stuff done at home. I would definitely benefit from having someone help me out when I had lots of errands or bigger cleaning projects. Thanks for the tip!