Friday, March 2, 2012

I Made

I like to make things. I like to say that it's because I can finish something. There are so few tasks in my life that I can say that about. Laundry, dishes, cleaning and child rearing are never finished. But I think I also like it because I'm amazed that I can pull it off! So here's a little collection of things I've made lately that I haven't had a chance to blog yet.

This is a 3-D airplane mobile that I made for my new nephew, Ryan. I bought the pattern on Etsy and then used my Cricut to cut the planes and clouds out.
Richard helped with the technical aspects of this one quite a bit.
Here's a little wall hanging I made for a friend who was having a baby. When friends choose a baby name before the baby is born I like to embroider the baby's name onto something like burp rags or a hanging. But when they don't choose the name before the baby shower, I do something generic like this. I actually really love how this one turned out and it was a little hard to give it away and not hang it in my own home!
The grass and stems are embroidered, then I just stitched the buttons on.
Here's a little "lovey" I made for another friends baby (apparently I create most often for new babies!). This is pieced together from fabric that my mother gave me which she got from a fabric designer who works in her building. I love the retro look of the fabric combination - it was perfect for this friend.
Then I quilted it using my sewing machine.
Here's a little something that I haven't finished yet. I realized (after I made and gave away that button flower thing) that I dont actually have any thing that I've made displayed in my home! So I started this heart to add to my Valentine's decor. The idea is that the french knots will get more and more scattered as they go out toward the edge. What I failed to take into account was just how long making eight gazillion french knots would take! At this point, I'm hoping to have this done by NEXT Valentine's Day! (Hopefully this project doesn't ruin my "I like to finish things" theory!)
This is like therapy for me. When I'm having a rough day I think to myself, "What can I make today?" Sometimes what I make is cookies or bread or a big dinner - but sewing and crafting are lower fat!

1 comment:

Mom said...

All super cute and well done!