Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Advent Calendar

I made this last year, but I didn't get it finished until after Christmas. So this is actually our first year using it. It's an advent calendar made out of a mini-muffin tin! How clever is that! (I can say that since it wasn't my original idea.)

This morning the kids were so excited to get to peak into square one and see what was inside. Today was candy, but we'll also do bigger prizes like coloring books or making cookies with Mom. For those ones I plan on putting a piece of paper into the muffin tin that will either describe the activity or tell them where to find the hidden prize.

Each muffin space has a piece of magnet over it. The kind you can buy in a big sheet (like 8 1/2 x 11 maybe) that rolls up and it's sticky on one side. I cut the magnet sheet into the right size squares. Then cut scrapbook paper squares the same size. After that it's as easy as embellishing each one. Scrapbook paper, embellishments, stickers, jewels, etc. When you're done embellishing, you peel the paper backing off the magnetic square and put your paper on. Number them 1 through 24. I didn't use any pattern, but some of the ladies I did this with did and it looked very cute that way, too. (I hope this explanation makes sense.... I tend to babble.)



This picture below seems kinda lame, but it's a shot of the back of one of my squares. So you can see that the entire back of each square is magnet.



I am not a perfectionist. This becomes especially clear when I do crafts like this. Each of my squares is not precisely the same size. I think it would look better if they were. They would all line up better. But this works. And I still think it looks great.

It's important to recognize that kind of thing in yourself I think. I'm not a perfectionist. But I'm OK. Nobody died because I didn't do this perfectly.

I'm adding this to Today's Creative Blog's Get Your Craft On Tuesday. I love Tuesday's!

7 comments:

Brandy said...

What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Love this, super idea!

erica said...

thats really cute nancy and I think the 'perfection' is found in the individuality of the project. I love it. I'd pay money for it. Where do you put it?

Clyde said...

Cute AND clever!

angela michelle said...

very cute. your kids will love it.

Marci @All Things Wonderful said...

Really Cute! Happy New Year!

inadvertent farmer said...

Wow...this is great! Love it, Kim