Friday, July 23, 2010

A Reason To Get Out of Bed

One of the problems I've been having lately is trying to convince myself to get out of bed in the morning. Because, really, why should I? Richard get the kids up and feeds them breakfast around 7. By 8 Nanny Amy is here and she dresses the kids and pretty much takes over things. I mostly just try to stay out of the way when she's here so that it's clear she's the authority figure. So, I repeat, why should I get out of bed? Ever? I am, after all, on bed rest. But staying in bed all day is pretty depressing. So I usually convince myself to get out of bed eventually (like around 10am). It's not that I can sleep that long - although I often wish I could - I read or watch a show on my computer.

A couple of days ago though, I was having a particularly emotionally rough day and I just really couldn't convince myself to get up. I lay there wishing I could just take two sleeping pills and wake up in 24 hours. Or better yet, I daydreamed, couldn't I just sleep for about two months until this is all over? ...Anyway, downward spiral aside, I finally convinced myself to get up and work on this project:
I'm embroidering the scripture that inspired us to name this baby Samuel. When I'm done I'll leave it in the embroidery hoop and hang it up in his room. Richard helped me pick a font on the computer and carefully trace the letters on with my disappearing-ink fabric pen. It's going slowly because I am doing very small, careful stitches. But I've got all the time in the world!

1 comment:

Wendy said...

someone in church was talking about keeping a gratitude journal during her very long bed rest she had with her second baby. She said is really helped to think of something every day that she was grateful for and helped her focus on that instead of the boring ongoing nothingness/ not being able to do anything. Anyways I thought of you and thought I should share it with you. You can delete this comment when you get it Just thinking of you :)