Saturday, September 1, 2012

Semi versus Prius

Richard was very generous to me this year on my birthday. He bought me this beautiful Janome sewing machine.  It has 100 stitches and is digital and fancy and makes sense and is just a million times better than my old, refurbished machine.  My old machine growled at me.  Seriously.  Sometimes it yelled at me.  Sometimes I threatened to throw it out the window.  It wasn't a nice relationship.  A good comparison would be to say that my old machine sounded like a semi truck, whereas this lovely new machine purrs like a Prius.  
 I've been reading the instruction manual and trying this or that, but my first real project on this machine was a cover for my tablet.  I had looked at several tutorials online but the end result was kind of my hybrid of several tutorials and pictures (fitting, since this machine is my Prius).  You can't really see in the pictures, but I even machine quilted some of the circles to add a little texture and interest.
I think it turned out great!  My pretty new machine had to sew through eight - thats 8 - layers at one point to make this.  And it did it!  Without even complaining!
I love my cheery little tablet case, but what I really love is having a nice machine.  And a sweet husband.

(I'm thinking I should do a little red blanket stitch along the edges...But I can't decide.  What do you think?)

2 comments:

angela michelle said...

I'm glad you have a good relationship with your new machine because I think you have a bright future as a seamstress and not nothing is holding you back! Looks like you did a great job on that envelope.

Mom said...

Very nice job. It does make ms a happy momma to see sewing in the next generation. I think it is having a bit of a revival and owe much of it to the wonders of the Internet.