Friday, July 27, 2007

Late night musings

Usually it is Richard who is up late doing something-er-other on the computer. But tonight the late night Isaiah-feeding has fallen to me. Normally, I would watch TV - but there is nothing on (not even something on the TiVo of interest). Or I would read a book - but I just finished my book.

Speaking of my book (my, what a tidy transition...), it was great. I highly recommend it. It is called "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith. I borrowed it from my Mom. I was totally caught up in it from the very first page. The first sentence really. "I write this sitting in the kitchen sink." I bet you want to know what comes next, don't you? Trust me, you do.

I think maybe blogs are all about vanity. Or at least mine is. Suddenly I am of the opinion that what book I just read, or what cute thing my kids just did, or how my family spent their Saturday, is of interest to the masses. I claim that I started this blog as an easier way to get photos to my Mom - but now I am writing posts with no photos. So that blows that claim. Really I think the truth is that it's nice to write in a journal. I never thought I would admit that, since I have always been very anti-journal writing. It always seemed pointless since I was pretty sure that no one would ever be interested enough in my boring life to want to read my journal. So - that's why I think it's about vanity. Now I think people should want to read about my boring life. - What a circle I have just written.

Obviously my brain is in an odd late-night kind of mode. I think I'll probably be embarassed tomorrow that I have posted this tonight.

4 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

Of course you know what kind of comment you can expect from me... You have done a great job describing the mind of a blogger. I love the journal aspect and I love reading other blogs and knowing that people are reading mine. When I started blogging I kept thinking, "Wow. there are people out there doing and feeling the same types of things that I'm doing and feeling," and "Wow, there are people out there who know that I'm alive." So, apparently, we are interested in reading each others' journals after all. I, for one, am glad you are sharing yours with the masses!

Kelly Jo said...

To be quite honest, I think I have had a major life shift since becoming a blog stalker--sounds dramatic, I know, but I think it's true. I say blog stalker, b/c I think I get more out of reading other people's blogs and then at times my blog is a forum for me to share it. I enjoy reading from the blog Segullah (link is on my blog) and then linking into other people's lives. While I don't necessarily see eye to eye on the posts on Segullah, that's the point, it makes me think and then I can write my differing opinion or concurring opinion if I'd like.
I guess blogging has helped me become more introspective. Something I needed I suppose.
Thanks for sharing more than pictures. . .a peek at another's soul is always humbling and inspiring.

Sarah said...

Yeah, we're all pretty vain. But what else are we supposed to write about besides our own experiences? Like everyone is saying, it's nice to be able to put it out there and then have other people come by and say, "hey, I feel that way too" because sometimes life can seem so lonely otherwise. I think that's why us Mommy Bloggers are slowly taking over the internet. We NEED each other.

But yes, you do need to post more pictures of your adorable kids!

Clyde said...

Hi Nancy,

This is your quasi-cousin... Dougie's wife. I've been lurking around your blog for a while now (found it from Sarah's site) but haven't yet had a chance to contribute something interesting or at least something that doesn't make me look completely crazy. Hope you don't mind... However let me quietly break the silence with my 2 cents: I loved the book "I Capture the Castle." It was very sweet and an enjoyable book to read. I'd highly recommend it for a book club selection.

P.S. Pictures are our friends. They are proof that you exist and have a life like everyone else. Keep them coming! :)