Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Asher the Velociraptor

You know that scene in Jurassic Park where they realize that the Raptors are intelligent because they keep testing the electric fence to see if it is still working, even though they get hurt every time? Asher is a Raptor. For example, a couple of months ago we realized our oven was broken because Asher walked up to it and put his hands on the glass window in front and burned himself. We replaced the oven immediately, of course, since it was obviously not safe. Ever since then Asher periodically test the oven's hot-ness by putting his hands on it. Another example, there are certain doors in our house that are just always kept closed. The laundry room door, the door to the basement, the bathroom door, the hall closet. All those doors are in one little hallway type area in our house. They are always kept closed. They have always been kept closed since we moved into this house. Occasionally Asher will walk up to one of those doors and just test it. And every once in a long while the door is open or not quite latched closed. Then he can have all kinds of fun splashing in the toilet or pulling all the lint balls out of the laundry room garbage can.

So, Asher is a Raptor. But a cute one.

Above, Asher has just flipped over the little side table and is scooting it around the house kind of like a skateboard. The side table is now safely locked in the basement. I know, removing it doesn't teach him anything - but believe me, I tried. I left that table there for a good two months after he learned to flip it over. Every time he did it I would say "no, no", right the table, and move Asher to the other side of the room and find some other toy for him. I think all the Child-Raising books I've read would agree that is the right thing to do. But, it just doesn't work with Asher! That little Velociraptor!

PS Asher just threw a book at me because I wouldn't stop to read it to him. I guess I'd better go before he goes T-Rex on me.

2 comments:

chelsea said...

I love it. He he velociraptor, I had forgotten about them. We all have velociraptor type tendancies sometimes, but Asher seems to have mastered his!

Kelly Jo said...

Once again, everything's forgiven when you're so darn cute!