Monday, August 27, 2007

A big first

Naomi gave her first talk in Primary on Sunday. She was assigned to talk about the Holy Ghost. I admit to writing it for her, except for a few key phrases that she chose. For example, I said "I know I am feeling the Holy Ghost when..." and she completed the sentence as "I am happy in my body." Which I thought was very cute and a good way for a 3 year old to explain feeling the Holy Ghost. We practiced the talk at home with her standing on a chair and using a spatula as a mircophone (why didn't I take a picture of that?) We even practiced that Mommy whispers in your ear and then you say it out loud. She did a great job. She spoke clearly and loud (right on the verge of too loud, but not quite). She got giggles from the adults when she said "amimals" instead of "animals". She only stumbled once when she was supposed to say "Heavenly Father told Noah..." and she said "Noah told Noah..." Anyway, it was super cute and while she was very composed and graceful, I almost lost it in giggles at the "amimals" and in tears at the end. Below she is holding her talk and showing off her pretty new dress (it's just a coincidence that she had a new dress for this, her very first public appearance in church, but I admit that if she hadn't had a new dress anyway I would have been tempted to buy one).





4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that dress on her!! I wish you could have recorded the talk for us to listen to. Oh well, I'm sure it was fantastic!

Anonymous said...

nancy you are the cutest mother and Naomi looks so cute in that little dress. it's amazing what you can learn from a child.

chelsea said...

That dress is darn cute. Yea for the first talk, they sure are fun huh?

Jenny said...

What an adorable dress for an adorable little girl...My kid isn't to the public speaking phase yet (we're just working on speaking) but my nephew Daniel's first primary talk was a hoot. He had practiced and his mother was whispering in his ear, but instead of repeating her he said "Temples, something something, Heavenly Father, something something, President Hinckley, something something, amen."