Monday, October 15, 2007

Back to the subject

The sub-title of my blog says "A place to see how cute our kids are." Sometimes I get distracted from that by the ability to rant or by other fun things in my life. But today I thought I'd take a minute and get back to the subject. My cute kids. Below is a cute thing that each of them has done today. And an up-to-the-minute picture too!

This morning as I was getting a snack ready for the kids Naomi was playing with Asher. She handed him some toy inside a little bag and said "Mommy, Asher just won a contest...imony." (By way of explanation, Naomi just learned about the concept of a contest from some TV show. And I'm guessing that in her Sunday School class yesterday they learned about "testimony") I love it when she is just figuring out some word. We really love that Naomi says "break-sick" instead of breakfast but just this morning she said "Can I have yogurt for breaksick?...I can't say that... break...fast." She's growing up fast. She'll be 4 next month!!



Since Asher is on the verge of talking we decided it was time to cut back on xuxa use (xuxa is the Portuguese word for pacifier, it is pronounced shoe-sha). So just this past week we have been leaving the xuxa in his crib when he wakes up. At first we just didn't make a big deal about it but as soon as he noticed we talked about it. Now he is finally to the point where he voluntarily puts it down when we walk into the room. Today when I went to get him out of bed after his afternoon nap he wasn't quite ready to give it up. As I walked into the room he very carefully set the xuxa down in the crib and stood up. But when I went to grab him he ducked back down and lay down so that he could put the xuxa in his mouth without touching it with his hands. Then he stood up again and looked at me. I gently said "you have to put it back, Asher." He looked at me. Then he looked around his crib. He went to place it in one corner, then changed his mind and stood back up. He went to lay it on his blankie, then changed his mind again. Finally he very gently placed it in one corner of the crib and stood up again. With one longing look over his shoulder he held out his hands for me to pick him up.


I admit, Isaiah has not done anything remarkable today. But he's 6 months old! He doesn't have to do anything remarkable. Or maybe, I'm not giving him enough credit. Maybe the remarkable thing that he has done today is to NOT do something. Like be fussy. The boy is just very sweet. He hardly fusses at all. Occasionally he gets bored and fusses for a change of scenery or because he's hungry. But he never fusses uncontrollably. Oh! I know something cute that he does. He clings to me when I pick him up. I've never seen such a small baby cling with his little hands when he is picked up. I just love it. He's like a little baby monkey hanging on me. When I go to set him down I always have to carefully pull his little fingers off my shirt. It gives me warm-fuzzies just thinking about it.

3 comments:

angela michelle said...

Oh Nancy what a sweet post. It's so great of you to observe all the wonderful little things the kids do. Asher looks very different to me in that picture. He looks like he's getting blonder. I can see the little boy in him more than the baby.

erica said...

every time i read something on your site, i get all warm and happy. you sure have cute little ones!

Nancy Clark said...

I love this post! I've been meaning to get back to basics on my blog as well; it will require pulling my camera out and figuring out how to recharge the batteries.