Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Foliage and the view

It's time for an update of the Fall Foliage outside my kitchen window! Below is the view from this morning - just a little more red has crept in!



After my last post about the tree outside my kitchen window my Mom pointed out that my sister, Angela ( presseddownandshakentogether.blogspot.com ) posted something about the view outside her kitchen window recently too. That got me thinking about the view outside other Moms' kitchen windows. And why is that such an important view to us? Why does what we see affect our moods? My first thought was that maybe it's because we spend so much time facing that view - doing dishes, cooking, getting snacks, etc. But in all reality, I don't spend THAT long looking out my window. Yes, I spend time in the kitchen - but I'm usually too busy to gaze outside. I'm talking to two kids at once, telling Asher to stop putting his pacifier in the garbage can, helping Naomi color, cooing at the baby, etc. - all at the same time.

Maybe it's because I feel bonded to other women who are doing the same thing with their days at that same moment.

Or maybe it's because I feel bonded to my mother because I imagine myself in the place she was years ago when she was making homemade breakfasts, lunches, snacks, and dinners for me and my 5 siblings every day! She really must have spent HOURS each day doing all that for us. No cold cereal for breakfast in our house. It was waffles or pancakes for breakfast made with love by Mom. No "lunchables" either. It was sandwiches and homemade cookies. No frozen chicken nuggets or pizza for dinner. It was roasts and casseroles and soups. Even homemade breads for much of my younger years! Yes, I think maybe that is it. I feel bonded to my mother.

What about you? Do you love the view from your kitchen window? What is it? And why do you love it so? Or is it some other view that catches your fancy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am interested to know what that is up on your cupboard next to the sink. What inspirational words do you have in such a high-traffic area of the house?

Nancy Sabina said...

To reply to Ruth:
It is a quote from President Hinckley (of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) that says:
I urge you to look to the condition of your finances. I urge you to be modest in your expenditures. Discipline yourself in your purchases..." etc. etc. etc.

angela michelle said...

I have strong feelings about the view from a kitchen window. I have our swingset and tramp strategically positioned so I can monitor the kids from the kitchen window. I may have bought our current house based on the pretty tree outside the kitchen window. I think I do spend a lot of time gazing out the kitchen window while doing other things, and thinking about lots of discipline, finance, family relations issues. In fact, I've noticed that sometimes when I'm upset I go over and stand at my station at the kitchen sink and look out the window to mull things over. Partly because it's a familiar location, partly because no one questions my being there, and maybe partly because if I'm there none of the kids can see my sad face.