Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Wishlists

I've been having lots of fun making Wishlists for our family. See the sidebar on the left for each family member's list.

It is so easy to want. Especially for me to want things for the kids. I want them to have everything that their little hearts desire. And especially the things that will really get their minds or bodies going. As I pick out a present I can just see the joy on each little face as they open the present. As they figure something new out. Those little cogs and wheels start spinning and you can practically see them getting smarter. What Mom doesn't want that for her child? Then I think about the toys of yester-decade. Wooden horses that their Dads spent hours whittling. Dolls sewn together with scraps of fabric and used spools. A cup. And those things really get those cogs and wheels spinning too - just not in such a flashy, instant gratification kind of way.

Last year for Christmas Richard and I decided to focus on homemade gifts. But our plan totally failed. Each of us had great plans for homemade gifts for the other - but neither of us had time to make them! And buying "the stuff" to make these thoughtful gifts was actually pretty stinking expensive. So we ended up with store bought presents for each other bought at the last minute with much less thought involved. It was really a little sad. Richard actually returned the thing I got him. This year I'd like to try again. I think with a little more planning this could really be a great thing.

Do you have any ideas of how to give your kids/spouse presents that make their minds light up without filling the house with lame plastic garbage that requires batteries? Enlighten me.

3 comments:

Clyde said...

Well, our Ward have a Super Saturday coming up in about a week... There's 2 or 3 church/FHE-oriented crafts (kids/family-friendly) that may be just be perfect for Naomi (then she can passed along to the little ones) and also for you two.

Ask your Mom to get you the kit/s (materials.) As you already know this is the cheapest way to get crafts' ideas and materials at once.

PS: Payment for materials to be fixed on that day is due this weekend, so you better call Liz ASAP.

kashurst said...

As one who frequently makes home-made gifts, let me tell you. For the most part it's not worth it. I can pour my heart and soul into a pair of socks for my Mom only to find that they are too itchy, or the wrong color, or ill fitting. And you are darn right! Home-made is WAY more expensive! Now there are those giftees who appreciate those kinds of things and that's great!...if you start in July. I find that spending time on figuring out what someone truly wants, or thinks they'll never get is more appreciated and fun!

Wendy said...

I love home made gifts. Last Christmas a blogger friend sent Satch a felted pizza...he still plays with it. And I made crazy crayons from a bucket of broken bits and sent them to family and friends in a nifty box filled with hand cut paper squares. http://motherrising.blogspot.com/2006/12/day.html

This year I decided that I wanted to nourish a love for reading and have been researching the best in kids lit. So I think I'll be sending all the wees one special book for Christmas each year in addition to something small and handmade. I'm going to try my hand at making felted wee folk a/o soap crayons. Wish me luck!

PS- I have a list of some excellent "unplugged" toys on my blog. We also created a family policy that in addition to toys from Satchel's wish list, we would like relatives to buy him at least one book. We feel there should always be a book involved. We are totally cool with used books as it saves trees...and money. And we look for toys that require imagination and creative play, and discourage our family from buying loud battery operated toys that leave little to the imagination.

Some of my pics for Satchel's Christmas 2007:
- more musical instruments
- an easel and more art supplies
- a gender-neutral doll house
- a gorgeous memory game called, "life on earth" by eeboo

I'm also looking for more building toys. He has imagibricks, wood blocks...and LOVES megabloks, but I want to find something that requires building in a different way. Perhaps a toddler safe tinker toy set. Hmmm....still working on this one.

Any ideas?