Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Doing My Best.. but failing.. but that's OK!

Richard bought me a sewing machine (for Christmas last year) which I finally took out of the box yesterday. I have a long history of avoiding sewing machines. But I decided that I'm a crafty person who can certainly triumph over a sewing machine and win that battle. I'll just look at it as a craft instead of as "sewing". For my first project I chose a tie for the boys using a super easy tutorial I found online.

And it turned out pretty well! I'm proud! Sure, it's a super easy and somewhat silly pattern (the unfinished edges bugs me a little but are the only way this would work). So then I was ready to take it up a notch. On to a simple A-line skirt for Naomi!

Adorable, right? I did it! I made a skirt for my daughter! And it's the same fabric as the boy's ties. Isn't that just the cutest? Can't you just see the family pictures now?
I should be a children's clothing designer, don't you think? Look at this adorable flower I made for the skirt.

Too bad an A-line skirt isn't supposed to have points on the sides. Oh, and if only the skirt came even close to fitting Naomi. She can't even pull it up past her knees. But that's not the point! The point is, I made a skirt! Sure it's unwearable. But I still declare myself the victor in this battle. All crafts take a little getting used to to reach perfection.
... Maybe next time I'll actually use a pattern for the skirt...

10 comments:

Wendy said...

I am sure it will make a nice gift to one of your nieces some time. And as for the points... you just made it more fashionable!

Clyde said...

The pointy end/corner is just a little Nancy touch to the whole project... You go girl!

At least you try it out not like someone like me who hides behind I-wish-I-have-a-sewing-machine excuse. :)

Jessica said...

I wouldn't sew without a pattern

Jessica said...

i mean, I CAN'T sew without a pattern

angela michelle said...

LOVED the title to this post. That's how I've been feeling--or trying to feel!--all summer.

I think you should go buy a super simple pattern, like another A-line. It'll help you see how the pieces fit together, etc. Like I bet you'd be stunned to see what shape the piece for a sleeve is.

That fabric and pink bow are an adorable combination.

Spencer, Kami, James and Madelynn said...

Adorable!!!! I love the ties and the skirt - the pink and green is such a great color combination! No one will notice the points!!

Spencer, Kami, James and Madelynn said...

By the way - I have this great singer sewing machine. I am dying to use it, but can't thread it properly. You and I should just get together and sew.

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

I like the points on the skirt.

Elieson Family said...

That was... AWESOME!!! Love it! I've messed up trying to do things on my own without a pattern before and kicked myself (really hard) for it afterward.
Live and learn. And you're right - the whole thing is gorgeous, except the points he-he.

Jenny said...

Wow. I didn't try sewing without a pattern until I'd been sewing for three years! Way to go, and keep up the good work!