Thursday, August 27, 2009

Getting My Craft On

Let's start with the least impressive craft: I made this race track for the kids out of two cereal boxes and some duct tape. It kept them busy for a good 20 minutes before Isaiah destroyed it.


I saw a really cute bag on a blog and later learned that it was actually a t-shirt-turned-bag and that it was really easy to do. Now I can't find the original blog that inspired me, but here's a site that explains how to do it (although it's pretty self-explanatory).
(Note my fancy new sewing sheers which my mother gave me for my birthday. This was their maiden voyage.)

Not a great picture of the final product, but Naomi loves it. This is an old t-shirt that I got at Disneyland when I went right after my mission, so it has sentimental value to me although it hasn't fit me since I had children. I think it'll make a great library-book bag.
And last but not least, I have had this project on my to-do list for a few months. This red topiary sits on my desk right next to the family room couch. When the family room couch was red, it looked great. But now that the couch is blue, it really needed a re-do.
So I pulled off all the red flowers expecting to find a foam-ball underneath. But instead I found this:
What the heck do I do with that? I wanted to put moss on the ball, but I can't put moss on THAT!
Here's where I started improvising and in the process made Asher really, really mad. I cut a hole in a ball and stuck it over the top. Then I hot-glued the moss to the ball.
Much better, eh? The shadows are kinda funky in this picture and make it look a little ratty. Really, it looks very nice. I'm very happy with it. Some day I'll spray paint the bottom part black or something, but for now I'm happy.

I've also been having fun re-arranging the basement now that Ruth has moved out and I can re-claim the space. I finally am getting my own desk and workspace down there! I can't wait to really get it all set up!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

you're keeping busy

Heidi said...

I love your repurposed topiary. I have a feeling that would be my luck when I finally take something apart to change it! LOL, who would think it wouldn't just be a plain old foam ball underneath!

I like your cereal box race track too, i wonder how long it would take noah to destroy one of those!