You can't really see the quality of the khaki in these pics. The Amazon one is so cheap that you can see through it. The one I made is nice thick fabric. The one I made is crappily made, sure. But no more so than the Amazon one - and at least the new one fits!
The vest still needs Diego's little patch, and I have no idea how I'm going to make that. I might do an iron-on or I might just piece it together the best I can with felt. Depends on how crafty I feel I guess.
Addendum (Oct 21, 2009):
This post is getting a lot of search engine hits, so I thought I'd update it with some more info about our Diego costume. We bought a Diego toy recently that came with a watch, so that was taken care of (I looked everywhere online for a pic and link, but I can't find it. I bought the toy at Toys R US.). A nice reader (thanks, Tyson) left me a link to this patch online that I printed on cardstock, laminated, then sewed onto the vest using my sewing maching. And I bought my little Diego a rescue pack from this Etsy site. I could have made one, but I opted for paying for it this time since I'm pretty busy these days. I am super excited to see how it all turns out. Stay tuned! And thanks for visiting. I hope this post helped you get your little Diego all outfitted!
Post Halloween Update:
Here's how my little Diego turned out. If this post was helpful to you, let me know in the comments or even send me a link to your Diego!