Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A bellybutton haiku

My cousin Sarah is hysterical. She's always been one of my favorites. Her blog is one of my favorites. She set a "contest" to write a bellybutton haiku. I don't claim to be a literary buff or anything, I admit that I had to look up what exactly makes a haiku (and I still don't think I really did it right) but I gave it a shot. I have a little bellybutton story to share at this point in my life - so here it is:

Bellybutton
Small dot on my tummy
Taken for granted

Gallbladder
Tiny part of intestines
Now in such pain

Surgeon
He’s just a smart guy
Pay attention

Bellybutton
Now a hole in my tummy
Gallbladder gone

Band-aid
Covers the gapping hole
Don’t catch on my pants

Advil
Only four at a time?
Asleep for a week

Bellybutton
Never again taken for granted
Now a dot

4 comments:

Nancy Clark said...

I love it. I think you should win!!

angela michelle said...

nancy you're so funny. You don't just write one haiku--you do a thematically cohesive series!

Sarah said...

It's such a stirring story, and the format is definitely original! I've never seen an epic haiku like this before and have to give you mad props on your ambition. Thanks for entering (if you win I'm going to make you send me a photo of your belly button...)

Nancy Sabina said...

I didn't win! I can't believe it! Maybe Sarah isn't my favorite cousin after all.
(just kidding Sarah)