Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Windy

Today is super windy. I had to take my "Beware" sign off the front door because it kept banging on the door making me think somebody was there. It's definitely Fall around here. The leaves that have already fallen are blowing around in little mini-tornadoes in the cul-de-sac. The leaves that are on the trees still are quickly being blown off. Leaves are falling so fast and so consistently that it looks like it's snowing. And the kids are in the backyard in their sweaters playing in the leaves. Naomi says they're playing in the leaves and the "hay". The hay is the pine needles that have fallen off the big pine tree right outside the back door. Our backyard looks like one of Naomi's drawings. One side is a solid light-tan color from the fallen pine needles and the other side is the red and orange of fallen leaves. The kids are busily blurring the line between the two by transporting leaves and pine needles from one side to the other.

This is the kind of day that makes me wish I was a poet. Or at least had better writing skills so that I could help you feel like I do. Maybe it's like this at your house too, so you don't need me to tell you about it.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

That actually is kind of hard to imagine, because I have been in 3 different states in the past 3 weeks, where it's 80 degrees or higher.

Anonymous said...

I was reading an enjoying this post and being so surprised and impressed by your descriptive skills. Then I read the second paragraph and couldn't believe it. You're a great writer, Nancy.