Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Secret

I have discovered the secret to being able to sleep when Richard isn't home. It used to be that I'd have to read myself into utter exhaustion before I could finally fall asleep and then I'd still sleep fitfully. I would wake up at every little noise. But the last couple of nights I've had no trouble at all. And the secret is... duhn duh nah! ... laundry. That's right, laundry. I turn on a load of laundry in the dryer as I head upstairs to bed. Then, instead of hearing every little noise outside on the street or the creaks of the floor or whatever, I hear the nice, happy, peaceful rumble of the dryer. Any noise I hear is just the laundry. And pretty soon my mind tunes it out and I can sleep. Ahhhhhh!

Now if only I could convince my mind to let me sleep in the middle of the bed instead of crammed onto one side like I've trained myself to do for the last 7 years.

I've only got one night left of sleeping alone (for this trip anyway). What are your tricks?

3 comments:

SewsCute said...

Since my husband is gone all week long I had taken to reading the scriptures and really trying to study them. I felt more peaceful and got a better nights sleep. I didn't even have to stay up until 2am to wear myself out!

Kelly Jo said...

I need no tricks, I can sleep anytime, anywhere. Maybe it's b/c I lived alone and don't scare easily. Although I do sleep with a fan on to drown out the landlords walking upstairs.

Rebecca said...

I tend to read myself to sleep...not scriptures, but just another book. That way I fall asleep thinking about something instead of the empty space in the bed.